Saturday, August 15, 2009

A week of firsts

Sweet Lydia celebrated her one-week-old birthday on Thursday, Aug. 13. Well, celebrated might be a strong word to use. Actually the day went as the last several have -- eating, sleeping, mom occasionally crying over something very small. I swear my hormones didn't do this when I got pregnant (I stayed relatively sane) so not sure why the slightest thing -- good, bad, exciting, overwhelming -- is enough to bring tears to my eyes.
During this first week she had all kinds of firsts. I'll post just a few of them here.

First car ride, heading home on Aug. 9.

First time in her room.

First time in the tanning beds... JK. These are the bili lights we had to bring home.

First time meeting Aunt Karen and Cousin Kate. They came up for a quick visit on Aug. 11.

This isn't really her first time being swaddled... but it's too cute not to post. I love burrito babies!

We also went on our first walk, our first trip to the doctor and had the first sponge bath at home. I have adorable pictures of all these events, but haven't yet downloaded them into the computer so they'll have to wait.

Today we're celebrating another first -- first time "on our own" as a little family. My mom left today (yes, I cried) but so far things are going well. I am SO thankful to my mom for taking so much time to come and help me get adjusted to things. She is a great example of the kind of mother I want to be.

9 comments:

Amber Blair

The crying is normal and should pass with a little more time. I remember wanting to sing to both my girls after they were born, but couldn't cuz I'd just end up in tears. Glad everything is going good for you, she's SO cute!! If you ever find yourself needing help, let me know!!!

Lizzie

Cute! I'm so happy for your little family. Congratulations! Hopefully I'll be able to stop by and see her before she gets too big. :)

Rachel

Oh, Lisa, I am sure you're doing a fabulous job. Don't let the crying get to you. (I say this because it's what I still have to tell myself.) I feel your pain on your mom leaving, but you can do this. You will find strength you didn't know you had. I am still amazed at what I can do when it comes to my children. I am so happy for you. Your daughter is beautiful.

Laura

Hey Lisa!!! She is an absolute beauty...love the name..that was almost Kaitlyn's:) I can already tell at what an natural you are at all of this. When you are feeling up to visitors I would like to come and meet her. Love the room as well!! Congrats, Congrats!

The Teacher in Training

Lisa,
Lydia is so cute! I love that picture with her and her grandma where she has her little hand under her chin. Congratulations! You both will be amazing parents. So, can I still e-mail you while you are on maternity leave?
-Aly

Mike and Katie

she is a cutie pie. congrats again.

Darren + Janessa

shes here!! yay! i love the name you guys picked... very cute! and what a gorgeous baby!!! she weighs almost as much as ty does at 2 months. lol.. well how fun! im glad all is well and i hope it continues to be!!! CONGRATS!! :)baby girls are too fun!

Emma

Oh my word, she is perfect.
I am so happy for you, such a happy life you have made for yourself!
The crying will stop.. just go with it and don't beat yourself up about what you can't control. Hold that little bundle & forget the rest. Seriously, that little thing gets big fast!

Eric and Sara

Lisa and Derek, Congrats! Your little Lydia is amazing. She is so beautiful. 9lbs is a good healthy baby! I love the picture of her in her little "tanning" bed. I'm so extremely happy for you and i am going to be keeping close tabs on your blog so i know what to expect! Keep me posted. And you do look like a natural at all of this! Congrats again!