Thursday, December 10, 2009

Kicking off Christmas

During the past few weeks we've been getting into the Christmas spirit at the Larson home!
Derek still likes to pretend at times that he is a scrooge (too many years in retail prior to his current teaching job will do that to anyone) but when it comes to Lydia's first Christmas my self-proclaimed Grinch hubby is as Christmasy as they come.

Our first festive outing was before Thanksgiving when we attended the Jubilee of Trees in St. George. The past several years Derek and I have attended this event on the night of the gala dinner and auction (thanks to my office for footing the bill for the expensive tickets.) On that night there is only a medium-sized crowd so its easy to peruse the beautifully decorated trees at your leisure and really get into the holiday mood. This year, however, we went on the Family Night along with every other person in St. George. You've never seen such a throng, most of whom, like us, were pushing strollers. It was madness! Lydia seemed to enjoy all the commotion and the lights on the trees. Derek and I, however, breathed a sigh of relief when we left.
Next year we'll try a different night.

At the entrance to the Jubilee of Trees.

While in Cedar City for Thanksgiving, we attended the Festival of Trees. Similar to the Jubilee, this event also features amazingly decorated trees. The crowd was lighter though and we had a great time. I especially liked the "North Pole" area where Lydia had her picture taken with Santa.


The whole gang.


You can't have Christmas morning without a stocking, so it was priority No. 1 to get Lydia's stocking made this year, patterned after the style that I made for Derek and I when we got married. I think it turned out really cute!


And apparently it tastes good too.

Decorating the house for Christmas this year took a little longer because I was so easily distracted by Lydia who sat cooing, squealing and giggling on the floor while I put lights on the Christmas tree. I welcomed the distraction and stopped every strand or so to play with her on the floor and just revel in the absolute joy she brings into our home.


We went to our ward Christmas party last week. It was a nice dinner and auction to raise money for needy families in our area. We had a great time. Lydia seemed to be the star of the evening in her adorable Santa hat!

I'm sure there are more Christmas posts to come. Until then, Merry Christmas everyone!

4 comments:

Mike and Katie

darling pictures of lydia!

Karen

I can't get over how freaking adorable she is! I can't wait to see you guys in a couple of days.

Emily Petty

Very cute Christmas pictures! Maybe you can convince your cousin Frank to stop being a Scrooge about Christmas!

Allen Family

So cute! I love her stocking that is great! Hope the holidays are going as well as they sound on your blog! miss you-- jes