At my job, we have to muddle through from New Year's to the end of May without an official work-free holiday. Some years we get President's Day in February. Some years we do not. So it is always with great anticipation that we get to Memorial Day!
Unfortunately we did not spend any time truly memorializing this holiday (no trips to the cemetery, which is something I usually enjoy doing on this day). But we did spend a lot of quality family time with Derek, myself and Lydia.
First up was a concert for Derek's band, City of Ashburn. It was a farewell concert of sorts. Their lead singer is leaving the band and at this point they're not sure if they'll continue with a different singer under the same, or possibly a different, band name. So it was the end of an era and I was grateful to be able to attend.
In order to go to the show we had a family first: our first time leaving Lydia with a non-family baby sitter. (OK, we have left her with our friends the Marshalls before this, but we kind of consider them family.) This was a full-fledged, young teen from the neighborhood kind of babysitter. I anticipate a post on this topic in the future, but for now, suffice it to say, it worked out well and I was able to get my groove on at Derek's show, cheering him on like a true groupie :) They sounded awesome!

On Saturday we had my brother, Brian, and his girlfriend over for lunch before trying out the water in Derek's parent's pool. It was too cold for Lydia to swim, but Grandma and Grandpa Larson promised to turn on the heater for their little angel to try again on Monday.

Sunday was a missionary homecoming for Derek's cousin, Tyson, and then some relaxation at home. I took two (yes two!) naps. I don't know what my problem was. It was like I went back in time to when Lydia was much younger and I used to nap when she napped. Not sure what brought on the coma-like symptoms, but Monday they seemed to have gone away.
We spent Monday at The Days of Camelot medieval fair here in St. George. It was a lot of fun. Real jousting matches (just like in "A Knight's Tale") as well as belly dancing, fire eating, deliciously fattening fair food and a little bit of shopping.

As promised, the Grandpa Larson had the pool heated for Lydia so we washed away the heat and dirt from the renaissance fair in a refreshing swim.
Unfortunately we did not spend any time truly memorializing this holiday (no trips to the cemetery, which is something I usually enjoy doing on this day). But we did spend a lot of quality family time with Derek, myself and Lydia.
First up was a concert for Derek's band, City of Ashburn. It was a farewell concert of sorts. Their lead singer is leaving the band and at this point they're not sure if they'll continue with a different singer under the same, or possibly a different, band name. So it was the end of an era and I was grateful to be able to attend.
In order to go to the show we had a family first: our first time leaving Lydia with a non-family baby sitter. (OK, we have left her with our friends the Marshalls before this, but we kind of consider them family.) This was a full-fledged, young teen from the neighborhood kind of babysitter. I anticipate a post on this topic in the future, but for now, suffice it to say, it worked out well and I was able to get my groove on at Derek's show, cheering him on like a true groupie :) They sounded awesome!
Rich Robbins on guitar and Derek on bass
On Saturday we had my brother, Brian, and his girlfriend over for lunch before trying out the water in Derek's parent's pool. It was too cold for Lydia to swim, but Grandma and Grandpa Larson promised to turn on the heater for their little angel to try again on Monday.
Since the pool was cold, she entertained herself with water from her sippy cup.
I just can't get enough of her cute chubby legs and I love how she always sits with her feet crossed.
She melts my heart!
I just can't get enough of her cute chubby legs and I love how she always sits with her feet crossed.
She melts my heart!
Sunday was a missionary homecoming for Derek's cousin, Tyson, and then some relaxation at home. I took two (yes two!) naps. I don't know what my problem was. It was like I went back in time to when Lydia was much younger and I used to nap when she napped. Not sure what brought on the coma-like symptoms, but Monday they seemed to have gone away.
We spent Monday at The Days of Camelot medieval fair here in St. George. It was a lot of fun. Real jousting matches (just like in "A Knight's Tale") as well as belly dancing, fire eating, deliciously fattening fair food and a little bit of shopping.
Family photo attempt
Having someone push you around all day is just exhausting!
As promised, the Grandpa Larson had the pool heated for Lydia so we washed away the heat and dirt from the renaissance fair in a refreshing swim.

Derek's favorite thing.
Not really my favorite thing.
I tend to worry about how high she goes, but she seems to enjoy it.

3 comments:
That picture of Lydia in her swimsuit & legs crossed is killing me, she is so cute!
I love me a chubby baby!!
Oh, I miss the pool and warm sunny days - there are few and far between here! I think the tossing pictures are really cute, but I understand your concern!
I love 3 day weekends too! I rolled at your post about car seats. I am convinced that it's all a big marketing conspiracy by the car seat companies! I mean honestly, kids are supposed to be in car seats until they are what? like 17? or something? It's getting ridiculous. But someone is definitely making a mint on those regulations and the opportunity to force nearly insane mothers to purchase 2 or 3 carseats for the sake of convenience! Anyway, I loved the post and I loved hearing about your holiday weekend. I'm sad about Derek's band...is he sad? Sometimes those kind of closures are bittersweet...I hope there is some sweet to it! love yer guts-- JK
Post a Comment