Seriously? Is this my only option if I want to stick with my running regiment? Wrapping myself from head to toe and leaving as the sun is just peaking over the mountains and the air is still bitterly cold?
I know what some of you are saying: it's colder where you live. Well, you're probably right, even though it really has been cold here lately -- well below freezing in the morning.
Old Jack Frost has left me with a terrible dilemma every morning, one that I am (remarkably) not arguing over while laying in bed.
I get up. I'm dressed. My shoes are on and I'm ready to go. But then I look out to behold my neighborhood in all its wintry glory and it is all I can do to open the door.
Once I'm out I spend the first half of my run chastising myself for leaving the house at all. When I'm not questioning my own sanity I am trying to decide if it is better to have my nose covered with the scarf so that I risk suffocating by inhaling too much of my own carbon dioxide? Or do I allow my nose to peek out over the scarf so that my nostrils freeze together with each breath?
It's a battle I can't seem to win.
Even as I finish for the day I'm still frustrated with it all -- proud that I went but annoyed that it wasn't more enjoyable. So naturally I think, there must be a better way. A few obvious things come to mind like buying a gym membership to do something indoors but that's not really in the budget and frankly, treadmill running just does not generate the same thrill. Going after work presents a problem too because it's starting to get dark and by then I have Lydia and if it's too cold for me, it's definitely too cold for her.
Anyone out there with a great idea for how to keep the cold from putting a freeze on my exercise and determination, let me know.
7 comments:
this is my first cold cold utah winter...i too enjoy running outside...but i enjoy it more laughing at those who are outside running when it is all of 10 degrees or lower out...ive been doing a workout video series called insanity...it takes about 40 minutes i am beat by the end of it, and although my body hurts afterward, it is the good kind of hurt...
Oh Lisa, I love that picture so very much.
Here is my opinion.
SG winters aren't that long where it's this cold so give yourself a break & do some different forms of exercise. I agree with you on treadmills, boring. And public gyms make my skin crawl with all those germs.
Get your self a work out DVD or two and switch things up a bit until you find it's warmed up enough for you. I like Jillian's 30 day shred. The workouts are hard but you work up to it and you will totally feel it in a good way. Sometimes I do 2 workouts back to back (they are 20 mintues each) or twice a day.
Take this time to take time off of running so you don't get burnt out & you will find it exciting and fulfilling again when it warms up.
If you want to continue running try just once a week. And instead of the scraf (which you are rocking) try a one of these: http://www.amazon.com/MULTI-Bandana-Headband-Beanie-Cap-Black/dp/B001E0Z4LK/ref=pd_sbs_a_1
Plus, giving your body a break from running and focusing on working out in a different way & different muscles is really good for you. Running all the time is good but you get to a point where you plateau & changing it up with help you get over that plateau.
Or if you are like me just be content with being fat & happy.
I fear my post baby body is going to be dreadful... oh well! :)
That was a novel.
The End.
And PS- you really look great.
I say there's no solution. I've been running for years and the only thing to do in winter is buy excellent winter running gear. I mean, don't skimp. It's pricey, but it lasts forever (I'm trying to remember when I had to last buy winter running things). The other thing that works excellent for me? Since it's already so cold, I get up a littler earlier, freeze my buns off, but come home in time to get back into bed next to my warm husband and lay under the covers sucking up all his warmth (as he says) for 30 minutes or so.
I agree with Rachel. I bought some pants a few years ago that work great, then I have shirts that I layer depending on the temperature. Sporting Goods stores have them on sale all the time.
Have you tried not covering your face at all? I was worried about this too but discovered that what I needed to do was cover my neck and breath through my mouth. Maybe the scarf is just leaving precipitation on your face which is actually making you colder. I seem to remember something like that happening when I'd go skiing.
It's only cold for the first few minutes. The winter is such a great time to run outside because the heat doesn't give you a reason to stop anymore.
Says the girl who hasn't run outside this winter yet. :)
I am so proud of you for keeping it up despite the cold! No suggestions here...the winter cold and dark make running outside really difficult but if you are determined, you'll make it work. Keep it up - you look great!
Oh wow-- I'm not one for doing anything in the cold but sipping hot chox and dipping grahams in it. We invested in an eliptical and yes, it isn't as thrilling as the great outdoors...but I can do it while my little one naps and I can watch me some HGTV or Jeopardy while I elipticize! :) I can't run on asphalt anymore because I have a bum knee, so the eliptical is my only option next to swimming...and you may remember how much I hate swimming. No--I'd rather work out in my home while getting decorating tips. I'd love to see you in person. You look great in your pix. Way to go, Li-Li. love yer skinny guts--Jessi Kay
ok you need to come check out crossfit dixie. I am in love with this gym/program. Its so different from anything i have ever done and i have gotten sooooo good of results from just a couple months. my body is totally changing and you don't have to go out in the cold (as much). i dread winter running months too! Its always so much harder to get out of bed to go but this year Im excited to get up and go workout. Seriousley its one of the best kept secrets and I wish I would have found them along time ago!
(you can go to their website crossfitdixie.com. to ck it out)
Post a Comment