Saturday, February 25, 2012

Peaceful serenity

Yep, that about describes our weekend getaway.


As a Valentine's surprise, Derek arranged for my parents to take Lydia and booked a room for us in Springdale, just outside Zion National Park.
SO wonderful!

We kicked off the day with a 5K race. Actually, Derek and I were both supposed to run it but an ankle injury for me left me to cheer on the sidelines. I was proud of Derek -- he did great -- but a little jealous that he got to have the great feeling of accomplishment at the end and I didn't.


From there we went cleaned up and then wandered through Art in Kayenta -- a great little outdoor art festival -- before heading to Springdale to the Cable Mountain Lodge situated at the mouth of Zion National Park.
It was so relaxing! Springdale is in its off season so there's not nearly as much to do as far as shopping etc. as there will be in the next few months. However, I was more than content to just have a nice dinner out and then veg out in our room the rest of the night. Plus, we got to sleep in on Sunday morning for the first time in ages!
We woke up to snow on Zion's magnificent peaks. It was the perfect way to end our relaxing weekend getaway.