Friday, July 13, 2012

July 4th and not a sparkler in sight

So, if I didn't put my Fourth of July decorations up in my house until July 5th, does that make me somehow less of an American?

In truth, it is simply indicative of how my schedule has been going this summer.

I love the Fourth of July, in fact it is usually one of my favorite holidays. But this year, thanks to a hectic work schedule, some weather complications and a 3-year-old's sleep schedule, it was one of the most low-key celebrations we've had.

Low key, but still a fun family day.

When I got off work our plans for a late afternoon swim were foiled by unexpected winds, so we packed Lydia up and headed to the park where the city had a variety of kid-booths to enjoy.





When we finished at the park we went home for dinner and I tried to accept the fact that Lydia was not going to stay awake until 10 p.m. for the city fireworks display.
Instead, we put Lydia to bed and spent the evening playing cards with Derek's parents.
Like I said, low-key, but still nice.
Happy Birthday America!

The next day my house looked so bare without the red, white and blue decor I usually put up I thought, what the heck —I'll put it up now. It made me feel better about everything.

0 comments: