Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Fourth of July!

The fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays and this year it marked a day for patriotism, barbecues, fireworks and friends, and it also served as a reminder that we are just five weeks from my due date! Here I am pictured at 35 weeks!

We spent the morning of the 4th working on a variety of home projects. We had to replace the ceiling fan in our bedroom -- broken by me after the simple act of pulling the cord to turn the light on. I blame its age, the thing was archaic.
So after three trips to Lowe's and one trip to Home Depot in two days, we ended up with two beautiful new ceiling fans, one that Derek even crafted to look like a much more expensive version that matches our existing light fixtures for about a third of the cost. Good job honey! In the process we also bought the CUTEST curtain rods for the nursery with a little butterfly on each end. I think it'll match the bedding perfectly.
That evening as I looked around our home I thought to myself: Every room in our house looks so nice, clean and organized... except the nursery. Isn't that where we should have started? Alas, it remains a chaotic rubble. But as Scarlet O'Hara would say: I'll think about that tomorrow.

We spent the evening of the Fourth with our friends, Brett and Collette Merrill, celebrating our nation's independence with a barbecue at our house, followed by a trip to the KONY Country Showdown. It's an "American Idol" type singing contest for would-be country stars followed by the city fireworks. The whole evening was really fun!

Collette Merrill, Lisa and Derek at the showdown

Happy Fourth Derek!

As a side note on the ceiling fans... we installed the new one in our bedroom on Saturday and Sunday morning when I went to adjust the speed of the fan, the new cord broke too! The same thing that happened originally. What am I? The opposite of Midas? It's not like I'm swinging from the cord like Tarzan, I'm simply attempting to use it for its designated purpose. So tonight we are re-installing another new fan (we took the other one back. Clearly it was defective) and Derek purchased a remote control so I don't have to touch the cords. I swear -- I must be cursed. But its kind of funny in an ironic way.

4 comments:

Karen

Love the dress and the red accessories! :)

Andrea and Greg

So glad we got together while we were in St George!!! It was nice to get to catch up...Derek is a great guy and you guys will make great parents :)

Good luck with everything and hope to see you again soon!!

The Grady's

You guys are too cute! I love how festive you are, Lisa!! A girl after my own heart! I just LOVE the 4th! Fireworks, good food, friends, and an excuse to make treats (not that I ever need an excuse...what happened to my diet?) Can't wait to see you guys soon and meet baby girl Larson!!!

Emma

Love your dress & red accessories!!

And your not alone in your ceiling fan mishaps. I did THE SAME THING to our ceiling fan, what are the odds? Kevin fixed it and then, I DID IT AGAIN. We're awesome you and I.

And could you remind us when you are due again? I am trying to be a good friend but it'd not going to happen if I don't know the date. Thanks!