Friday, July 17, 2009

A week with William

Talk about a perk of the job -- if you like theater, that is, which I do! I spent last week going to five of the six plays at the Utah Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City and it was excellent! We saw three Shakespeare plays: "Comedy of Errors," "As You Like It" and "Henry V," as well as two non-Shakespeare offerings: "Private Lives" and "Secret Garden." I am so grateful to have a husband who not only goes to these events with me, he actually enjoys them :)

Derek at the media reception on Monday, July 6.
I've been coming to some of plays each year the past couple of years but this time I decided to try to think more like a tourist while we were there. Instead of just working (I was writing reviews of "Comedy of Errors" and "Secret Garden" for The Spectrum newspaper) I tried to pretend to be on vacation as much as I could. So we took touristy type photos, ate food at the festival the way tourists would (love those raspberry tarts!) and did our best to just relax and enjoy. All the plays were very well done and I'd probably recommend all of them for different reasons. Even though it made for a busy week and lots of driving and sitting (and waiting in restroom lines at intermission as any pregnant lady would be) overall it was a very good week.
Lisa with posters of the plays.

Derek with one of the costume displays.

The Greenshow