The saying “you never know what you have until it’s gone” (or some variation of that) really hit home yesterday when I suddenly found myself without the apparatus essential to any working mom: my breast pump.
My day was going along fine. Work moving forward as it should, Lydia carefully tucked away with her grandmother for the day. I had just settled into the empty office provided by my employer that I have named “my pumping room.” I situated my clothes, set up the machine and hit the switch.
Nothing.
I panicked. Normally I try not to go too long between pumping sessions and I’ll spare you the details here, but suffice it to say, it was time to pump.
I began switching the machine off and on, off and on.
Nothing.
I flipped the switch on the power strip where it was plugged in, then tried another outlet all together.
Still nothing.
Immediately I called my mother-in-law to inquire after Lydia’s feeding schedule. Blast! She’d eaten just an hour before. My mother-in-law promised to call me for the next feeding. In the meantime I ranted to my sister about my horrid luck and the awfulness of having to be at work in the first place (something she understands all too well) and left Derek a voicemail venting my frustration.
Poor husband. Who really needs to get a message like that?
I made a trip to Radio Shack after I determined the problem could be a short in the power cord. I purchased a new cord, drove back to my office (where I had left the pump… duh. Should have had it with me.) The new cord wouldn’t fit the machine.
Foiled again!
I drove back to Radio Shack to return it and then came back to my office (where, by the way, I was actually supposed to be WORKING all day) and went online to see about ordering a replacement part. Bear in mind, I don’t have a private office — we’re all in cubicles — so anyone walking by could see me perusing the breast pump web site. Just imagine the kinds of pictures shown and decide for yourself if this is embarrassing for me yet or not… it was.
I ordered the part, paid an exorbitant fee to have it overnighted to me (hey, anything is better than springing for a whole new pump — they’re expensive!) and then spent the rest of the day and part of the next going back and forth to feed Lydia and trying to get work done at my office.
Exhausting.
Suffice it to say, I was THRILLED when I saw this on my doorstep.
And even more thrilled when I flipped the switch and heard the familiar motor whir.
Here’s to being grateful for life’s little blessings.
5 comments:
oh no! haha. tylee is fed by pump feeding and only that so then other day when my pump thing dropped and broke in half, i started bawling! luckily i have sisters with pumps! which i used in th meantime, but man! don't know what i would do without my pump!
I have had panic moments like that since Tay is pump fed only, and then realized that it wasnt plugged in or something like that. I hope work is going well, its so hard to be away. I only work 2 and thats tough on me!
That sounds awful. And it does hold some bearing in my ever changing decision about going back to work when baby is born.
Okay, Lisa. I read this a few days ago but had to make sure I commented. That is one BAD situation to be in. I remember feeling nervous when I would have a glitch with my pump, but it never actually died on me. Oh, the horror! No one can completely sympathize except nursing mommies. You having to go back and forth to Lydia for feedings was an absolute medical necessity!!!
Oh no - what an awful, painful situation! Maybe you should have a cheap hand pump for back up. That's what I had because I didn't need a machine because I wasn't pumping all the time - not as quick, but it still gets the job done. Glad that everything got worked out - oh the joys of being a mommy!
Post a Comment