With St. Patrick's Day last week, I thought it was important Lydia be introduced to her Irish heritage with all kinds of celebrating.
My Dad's side of the family came from Ireland (on his father's side). My maiden name is Grady but my great-grandfather was actually O'Grady. You don't get much more Irish than that! He dropped the "O" when he came to America in an effort to fit in.
Even with all that, I've never had my St. Patrick's Day festivities stretch over the course of a week, but this year, they did.
It started with an all-green dinner with our friends, the Marshalls. They are so fun and got all dolled up for the occasion.
The menu included taco salad, green grapes, broccoli and celery with green ranch, green lemonade, green creme soda, green jello and shamrock cookies. We had a lot of fun.
On actual St. Patrick's Day we didn't do much -- just went to work. But Lydia was adorable in her festive-ness, naturally.
Then on Saturday we headed to Springdale (just outside Zion National Park) where I'd been asked to judge the city's annual St. Patrick's Day parade and green Jell-O sculpting contest. Ah, the notoriety that comes with my job. :) But it was a beautiful spring day and so fun to get out and spend some time as a family.
You can tell Lydia is excited about the parade -- her feet never stopped kicking.
4 comments:
love the green!
look at all that green stuff to eat, how fun!
We made rainbow cupcakes this year to celebrate, you would love them. They look a lot better then they tastev (nothing fun about vanilla cake) but my kids loved them. However, I thought they looked like playdough.
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/taste-a-rainbow-cupcakes-842128/
ps- I think you should bring back O'Grady, i love it!
We love St. Patty's! We're big green pancake and milkers! Also, I loved your 57 minutes of crying post. I usually leave the house...I can't take it, and neither can my mammory glands-- that crying... just well, let's just say it's like and on/off switch for me! I hate to let them cry it out, but Dr. Lex concurs with your book...he always says it's medically good for kids to learn to put themselves to sleep. It's my only buffer for the guilt! Loved your post. So true, so true. love you, li-li-- jes
Fun to celebrate the often-overlooked holidays!
Post a Comment