Sunday, December 19, 2010

Life’s simple pleasures

We have a refrigerator and it is located in our kitchen.

To most of you, a fact like this might seem too obvious to share. Where else would you keep your refrigerator? Well, for the last 7 weeks, ours has been in the garage.

I’ll explain.

The week before Halloween Derek and I were in the kitchen one night and noticed an odd buckling in our laminate wood floor. A quick inspection revealed water and we soon discovered our fridge had been leaking water, unbeknownst to us, for who knows how long. Long enough to buckle the wood.

I was panicked. Do we have mold? Have we all been breathing toxic fumes?

My next panic set in when I realized I had absolutely no idea who to call. Derek’s dad was first on our list. He seems to know a little about everything when it comes to home projects. However, he told us when it comes to electricity and plumbing, he steers clear.

Time to call in a professional, but who?

We opted for flooring people – grossly overlooking the fact that our floor was flooded and we’d need other help besides simply laying new floor. Fortunately, one of the companies I called alerted me to this fact.

Duh.

They recommended a flood damage company and we called them in for a quote.

I’ll spare you the exhaustive details from there but suffice it to say our kitchen went from this…

To this…

And finally to this...

Because of some issues with ordering the replacement floor from Home Depot, the entire project took several weeks longer than it should have. In the meantime we have been trudging to the garage every time we want something out of the fridge. I am amazed how often that happens. Perhaps some people would use this as an opportunity to go to the fridge less, thus eating less and being healthier. I chose to just complain more.

I encountered many reasons to complain -- including some incompetent behavior on behalf of the appliance repair company and having to meet with repair men every day for a week. I felt like we were remodeling again except the end result is exactly what we had before.

Now we have a fridge and it’s in our kitchen and life is simple once more.

4 comments:

Rachel

I am so sorry. What a pain. Where are the sugar cookies? I want to see! They are just the best things in the world. Mmm. Sugar cookies. (I'm almost out.)

Etts a Beautiful Life

Take it from me. I KNOW what a pain having your home ripped apart for water damage is. I feel for you.

Allen Family

Oh yuck! I hate home repairs! Those are the moments you realize why renting was actually beneficial sometimes! :) I'm glad you have your fridge in your kitch. What a pain. I think I'd have complained too! loves, jes

Emma

I found this quite entertaining, thank you! Better you then me! :)
Home repairs make me never want to own a home ever again.