Thursday, June 9, 2011

Firewoman in training?















Derek and I are the Cub Scout Den Leaders for our ward/neighborhood Wolf Pack. For those not familiar with the world of Cub Scouts, that means we work with the 8-year-olds.
Although this is not an assignment I ever imagined having (I'm still not sure I know what to say to 8-year-old boys), it's actually been a lot of fun. It's been great to work with Derek in this kind of capacity and the boys are enthusiastic, fun-loving boys.
Lydia enjoys it too because since both Derek and I are involved, she is our unofficial assistant and accompanies us on all the activities. Such as today when we toured the fire station.
We are fortunate to have a volunteer fire fighter in our ward who took the boys on a tour of the station and let them sit in the engine, try on the uniform, the works. I had never toured a fire station myself, so I found it fascinating. Even Lydia got to try her hands at the wheel. She loved being part of the group.

Memorial Day

I'm a little behind but we had a great time for Memorial Day weekend.
Taking advantage of Derek's parent's pool while they were on vacation, we invited some new friends from our ward for a cookout and barbecue. It was a great kick off to the summer!

Derek at the grill


Lydia in double floaties. We bought this life vest for her and it was hilarious seeing her bob around like a cork in the water. I was holding onto her the whole time, of course, but she seemed pleased with her new "independence" in the water. Maybe a little too excited about it...


I love my girl!


I don't know why she looks so sad in this picture. She was quite happy that day, but for some reason I caught her in a rather contemplative moment in her high chair. I thought it was adorable.