Friday, November 4, 2011

Aloha Halloween


I love couple/family theme Halloween costumes but after last year's amazing Curious George Flies a Kite combo, it was difficult to think of something that could stack up in terms of clever and cute.

Hey — what good is a blog if it's not a place to brag?

I'm kidding. Sort of... :)

So this year Derek and I decided to use a couple of things we already had on hand.

But what good is a Hawaiian couple ...


... without their roasting pig?



It took a little doing to craft the pig costume since apparently all the cute pig costumes are only available up to 18 months in size. That's not going to work for us. We're more of a 3T pig kind of family. Fortunately I was able to create this little number and I have to say, I think Lydia makes an adorable pig. Right down to the curly tail.


Halloween was good to us this year. We went to a great party with some friends. They had really gone all out with a bounce house for the kids, face painting, s'more roasting, pot luck dinner, the works. It was a fabulous event.



On actual Halloween we took Lydia trick or treating. She was only mildly interested. She liked the candy, but it takes her a while to warm up to the idea of approaching strangers (or often even people she knows) — and time is not a luxury one has when the basic idea is "trick or treat" and "thank you" and you're on your way.

Still it was a good time.

Now that Halloween is over it seems the biggest tragedy in Lydia's life (and thereby mine) is that the neighbors have taken down their awesome Halloween decorations that literally had us standing in their front yard on a daily basis in October while Lydia admired the "pump" (pumpkin) and the ghosts and the "scary" (some sort of Grim Reaper guy). She really misses all that stuff.

Here's hoping the neighbors have something equally impressive up their sleeves for the Christmas season :)

3 comments:

The Grady's

Oh my goodness! Her costume turned out so cute! You are so clever and creative, Lisa :)

Karen

Adorable!!!

Emma

Okay, I obviously have been away from your blog for a very long time but, HELLO! Best costumes ever!! Love that curly tell... Martha.