Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hiking with Grandpa

I got the cutest text from my father-in-law, Kurtis, a couple of weeks ago asking if Lydia was available for a hike the next Saturday.
Ironically, Derek and I had been plotting some outdoor family time for that weekend as well so Kurtis was nice enough to let Derek and I tag along on their outing.


Grandpa had purchased Lydia a really nice hiking backpack — or "pack pack" as Lydia calls them these days — and had been looking for the best way to unveil the gift. It was adorable — Kurtis had packed the backpack with all of Lydia's favorite treats. She was thrilled!


It was a perfect day to get out and explore! Kurtis led us to some petroglyphs and then we spent a fair amount of time looking for more.
Since we were taking Lydia I had envisioned the trail being smooth and level — something it was decidedly not. However, I was amazed at how well Lydia did. Holding Derek's and my hands she was able to maneuver up some pretty steep sandstone formations and she kept telling us how much fun she was having.

The whole thing reminded me of the many times my Grandpa Petty took us out to explore the red rocks of St. George. It was a wonderful day!

Lydia is going through a camera shy phase.


We stopped frequently to enjoy the snacks Grandpa packed.


Lydia discovered this hiding place and kept gleefully running back to it as if each time she saw it she was discovering it again.



Kind of a weird angle, but here she is laying on the ground, her head on her blanket, all tuckered out. Don't be alarmed that she carried her blanket most of the way, despite the steep inclines where free hands would have been a nice luxury.


Thanks Grandpa Larson for a fun day!

0 comments: