Friday, October 5, 2012

Pink: It's the new blue

I finally tucked myself away in the baby's room last night to get things organized. We're staring the due date in the face -- 4 weeks away -- so now seems like the optimal time to prepare.
Who knew such an innocuous task would end with me in tears and Derek running to the store to buy more OxyClean.

The culprit:



Don't let the innocence of this inanimate object fool you, there is a power in this red sheet that defies the laws of science.

After removing the tags from literally every 0-3 month outfit and receiving blanket I have managed to accumulate, I gathered up the brand new bedding and the aforementioned clothing/blankets and threw them in the washing machine with Dreft as any careful mother would.

I don't like to blame too many things on pregnancy brain, but I have no reasonable explanation as to why I would put all the clothing and bedding in the same load. It was late. I was tired. I haven't had more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep in months (thanks bladder) and the bright colors of most of my baby's clothes honestly didn't seem like a bad pairing with the blue and red sheets.

You can imagine where this is going now.

I removed the wash with some anticipation -- the idea of making the bed and folding the clothes is actually appealing to me at this stage. Horrified, I started to cry when I saw what remained of my baby boy's adorable new clothes.

Fortunately some of the brighter colored clothes (not pictured here) were salvageable. These are the items that had the worst case of the pinks.

Seriously, it's not like I've never done laundry before. I am fully aware of the need for sorting clothes into like colors. I have no explanation for the oversight. 

Derek was at a meeting at work, so I called my mom, crying. Again, let's go ahead and blame my over reaction on pregnancy too.
She suggested what I had already thought of: soak it in OxyClean. A quick Google search yielded similar results, so Derek hopped on his white horse -- fortunately that had not been near the red sheet or it too would have been tarnished and pink -- and ran to Wal-Mart for some more OxyClean.

An overnight soak in OxyClean and three soak cycles in my washing machine has not even touched the problem so I have decided to throw in the proverbial towel -- which is also pink.

Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a more even and permanent dye job if I had planned it. The once adorable blue and white striped set of tiny pajamas look like I purchased them to be pink and blue striped. The polka dot blanket looks almost identical to one we have from when Lydia was an infant.



If I wanted pink clothes for my little boy, I have an unending supply of Lydia's old clothes in the garage. However, I am trying to laugh about the situation. It really is kind of funny... in a really frustrating way. 

3 comments:

Rachel

Oh, Lisa! I am SOO sorry! I'm sure you've tried everything, but have you tried Clorox for colors? Maybe it won't work. I just know I was in tears when I took out all of Elliot's baby clothes to find many of the clothes I packed away clean and folded now had yellow spit-up stains. OxyClean didn't work (as everyone said it would), but Clorox got out all but the very worst ... although this is NOT the same thing. Regardless, I'm sure your little boy would look cute in pink!

Brett and Collette Merrill

This is soooo sad! I'm so sorry!

Karen

Tuck them away for when you have another girl. :) Meantime, we'll hook you up with boy things galore!! :)