Had I been left to my own devices, I might have missed this life altering opportunity but fortunately for me, my good friend Holly sat down at a table with three young-ish looking guys to talk and share a plate of watermelon. (What else do they serve at these kinds of events?)
After making some unsuccessful flirtation attempts in another area of the park, I returned to my wing-women at the watermelon table and sat down with a cute blonde and two of his friends, all of who were friendly and fun. They seemed to be pleased to have the attention of four older women and my friends and I were content to toy with their relatively recently returned missionary emotions for the evening.
I have to admit, I was in rare form that night and even my two best girl friends commented that I seemed extremely comfortable with these boys, one in particular. Yes, at that point, the three-year age gap had us referring to them as “boys.”
But after staying out until 5 a.m. with these fellows (something Derek later told me was false advertising because he really is a night owl and I really am not) I was intrigued enough to keep seeing the cute blonde with the gorgeous blue eyes and easy smile. And since today we are celebrating four years of marriage — well, you can see how this story ended. Or began.
Although four years of marriage isn’t technically any sort of “landmark” anniversary on the gold, silver, tinfoil or what have you, scale, it feels like a landmark to me because it marks the end of an era — the Derek and Lisa only era. By this time next year (well, much sooner than that really) our family of two will have become three. Naturally I’m excited about the addition to our family, but I think I will always remember these four years of our life fondly as they have truly been amazing. Sure, we’ve had our challenges, but I feel like we’ve met them as a unit and have grown closer as a result. I can honestly say there is no one in the world I’d rather spend my time with than Derek and I feel ready for any adventure as long as he’s at my side.
Four years down, an eternity to go. I can’t wait to keep on enjoying the ride.
Our wedding on May 14, 2005

5 comments:
It goes by so fast, doesn't it? Happy Anniversary to you guys!! :) You two are such a cute couple!
Happy Anniversary!!! Wahoo!
I love that story! Congrats on the 4 year mark. I didn't want to wait but i am honestly so grateful that Eric and I will have 4 years by ourselves before the kiddos arrive. I know exactly what you mean when you say, "...remember these 4 years fondly" I agree. Congrats again, and on to the next era in your life together!
I've never heard that story before.. ahhhh!
And I've also never seen a wedding photo so this is a fun post for me!
The end of a good era of four years together, & it will only get better with kids! The first time you see him holding your baby girl your heart will burst. You'll love him more in that single second then you ever have in the last 4 years. Bliss.
Happy Anniversary - we were so excited that we were actually able to go to your wedding - that picture is beautiful!!
Post a Comment