This is only newsworthy to me because we were getting a little sick of the effort it takes to sell a car (fielding phone calls, meeting with people... what am I saying? Derek was doing all this, not me. But still...).
A nice old couple knocked on our door Saturday morning and asked about the car (we had the window painted with "for sale") and before I knew it, Derek said it was sold. We had the whole deal sealed up with a check in our bank account within just a couple of hours.
As soon as we were driving over to meet them with their freshly washed purchase (Derek really wanted to do this up right) I had a thought: Is it normal to feel nostalgic about a car?
I wasn't tearing up over it or anything, but I have to admit, I was feeling a little sad when I realized this is the only car Derek has owned since he's been home from his mission and it is the car he had the whole time we were dating. The familiar sign of his "maroon four-runner" as I ignorantly called it one time (which he still likes to tease me about, but I say -- hey, my lack of car knowledge only showed I was not one of these shallow types who CARES what kind of car the guy drives) pulling up in front of my house always made my heart jump a little with excitement at his arrival. Yet even as I was thinking this, I had to remind myself: It is just a car.
These were my thoughts yesterday as we dropped the car off, but today as I type this, I am feeling great about the whole episode being finished. I'm just excited we got our asking price and will be able to pay down our new car that much faster. And anyone who knows me knows the idea of saving money somehow is enough to make me happy.
Here's Derek with the Blazer one last time


3 comments:
Although some may be more sentimental than others, it is interesting to think that there is so much emotion tied to a car. Cars often help to mark more significant milestones in life like baby births (family growing) and graduations. Definitely blog worthy. Fun post and glad to hear SOLD! So what is the new set of wheels you two will be sporting?
Oh! I'm glad that you got it sold! I know it had been a headache. But yes, the sentimental value involved with a car - it is blog worthy. I felt torn when we got rid of the Bug - it was my car when we were dating! I hope that Derek is hanging in there with the loss of his beloved blazer! :)
I totally did the same thing when Kevin sold his old Stratus! We had so many good times going back and forth to SLC and SG! But it was so nice to get something new!
So what is going to be replacing the blazer, a van? :)
Post a Comment