I've never been one to wait in line to talk to someone famous. For some reason I just can't handle being the overly-enthusiastic fan of anyone (musicians, actors, whoever); perhaps because I usually figure they are just like me only with a more prestigious -- and definitely higher paying -- job. However, there have been times when I have wished my personality would allow me to be the gushing fan; times when I want to talk to some famous person or other but feel too ridiculous to do so without a good reason, or at least without something more intelligent to say than, "Hey aren't you ______ " or "I loved you in ______ movie/TV show."
That's where my job comes in handy sometimes.
As a reporter, I'm allowed to approach people I wouldn't normally have any legitimate reason to speak with and can interact on nearly the same level -- or at least without appearing to be graveling or waiting in line for them to grace me with a portion of their attention. This reporter "shield" of sorts has given me the opportunity to comfortably interact with a variety of moderately famous people over the years and last Friday was one such chance.
Derek and I were listening to the radio Friday morning while we got ready for work and the DJs started talking about meeting up with some of the "Biggest Loser" contestants during a live remote broadcast. I thought they must be talking about the contestants from this radio station's local version of "Biggest Loser," rather than the actual NBC television show Derek and I watched faithfully each week this past season. But, after listening for a while we learned they were talking about the real deal -- two contestants from NBC's season 7 "Biggest Loser": Sione and Filipe, the Tongan (and I'm almost certain LDS) cousins. I was so excited!
Derek had to get to work -- even on the last day of school a teacher's schedule is not very flexible. I, on the other hand realized I could actually make my stop to visit with these reality TV stars part of my day's work and kill two birds with one stone. I could talk to them as an "equal," or something close, and kick out a story for The Spectrum newspaper at the same time.
Beautiful.
Notebook and camera in hand I sought out the radio broadcast and had two pleasant conversations with the now health and fitness-oriented cousins. It was great! They were just like they had been on TV, right down to Filipe's boisterous laughter that seemed to fill even the outdoor space. The pair was gracious and cheerful with the crowd of people seeking photos and autographs. The cutest part was a class of 4th grade students from a nearby elementary school who came on an impromptu field trip to meet the stars. Several of the kids were literally speechless with excitement as I tried to ask them questions about their encounter for my story.
I snapped pictures for the paper but I didn't ask to be in one of the photos myself. My sister, Karen, has already reprimanded me for this saying I missed a great opportunity. (She's a big fan too). But again, it was that whole issue I have with appearing too eager in these situations. I am totally fine with the pictures I have and the conversations we shared.
Brush with fame: A success :)
Baku's Boulevard
9 years ago
3 comments:
I'm so jealous. I don't listen to the radio, so I didn't even know they were here but that is so cool that you got to talk to them. I also faithfully watched that show every week and they were my faves! I guess even if I would have known they were here, I wouldn't go packing my two kids with me down to meet them either.
I so wish you took a picture with them but I understand the hesitation. Those guys were the coolest. I really wanted them to win. And then I wanted Tara to win. I think Helen was a little too skinny in the end, but that's just me.
Also, I wanted to tell you that you did a fabulous job on your recent piece about the Special Needs Program in Southern Utah. My mother is Shauna Woodmansee - the organizer of the program and current yw president. My little sister Angie was the catalyst for all their hard work. I am so proud of my parents and those in Southern Utah who made this a reality. It really does affect lives. Your piece was a great representation of that! When Mom said she was interviewed by the Spectrum, I asked her if the reporter was a beautiful, brown-haired pregnant woman. She said yes and I knew it was you!!!
Glad you are doing well!
Cool! I feel the same way too - I've gone "backstage" after Broadway shows a few times, but I'm always too embarassed to ask for an autograph or anything. I love that show too - I cry every time I watch it - I think it's so inspiring - it's the only "reality" tv show that I think is actually worthwhile.
Post a Comment