For the last several months I've been training to run my first race ever -- a 5K.To all my amazing friends who could run this distance in their sleep, please don't laugh at the smallness of my goal. For a girl who has never run more than a mile or so without stopping, a 5K was the perfect-sized race to start out with.
My goal was to run without stopping to walk and over the last few months of training, I've really started to enjoy my morning runs. Occasionally, I'd skip a day of running and, amazingly enough, I'd actually miss it. Some mornings I couldn't believe the fact that I was actually looking forward to getting up to go run.
I've seen this kind of attitude before in many of my running friends over the years and I started to wonder: Is it possible? Am I becoming a runner?
Standing at the starting line of the Save A Sister breast cancer race this morning, surrounded by people who looked very familiar with racing, I wondered again, am I a runner?
I think the reason this question kept coming back to me is because I've always viewed "being a runner" as something so far out of my reach but secretly something I have always admired in others. Now, I realize today was just one race, but as I crossed the finish line and heard my own little fan club (Derek and Lydia) cheering for me I decided that, for me, I'm definitely headed in the direction of being a runner :)
For information sake (and because I'm pretty proud) my finishing stats are listed below:
Time: 29:11.5
Average mile (9.23 minutes)
6th place for women in my age category
32nd of 119 overall
6th place for women in my age category
32nd of 119 overall
Waiting at the starting line
9 comments:
Congrats! I am thinking about working towards possibly becoming a runner someday too! haha :)
We watched all you guys this morning. Too bad we didn't see you. I would have totally cheered! That house behind you in the picture is actually ours! haha :) Too funny!
Ah, I love it!
Lisa, you already know how amazing I think you are but this just raised it to a new level! I am so proud of you! Seriously, who is this girl who does all these hard things like it's nothing? You rock. And you look great!
So 5K this year, half marathon next year... let me know when you run the SG marathon so I can come cheer you on! ;)
That's awesome, Lisa! You certainly SOUND like a runner ... and look like one too. Congratulations!
Congrats!! Great time for your first 5k. And you should feel great about accomplishing a 5k. That's what I started out with and then just worked my way up to the marathon. Running is totally addicting and I feel the same as you, when I can't go I go crazy!! Way to go!! :)
Way To Go!!! You are a runner! :)
Wow. Congratulations!
Great job Lisa! I'd say you are a runner :)
Lis!
I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO proud of you! See--you CAN do it! Not to mention, your time was awesome. So does this mean we're going to do a race together? Just a thought. I'm planting it now, so we can really make it happen. Way to go girl!
Good for you!!! I keep wondering if I should head in that direction and then I remember that I hate running, but I think I'd enjoy it with someone else - and I know I'd like the results.
Post a Comment