Thursday, October 7, 2010

Broken

Yesterday was a rough day.
Actually it was a fine day until bath time came for Lydia. I was in my usual post next to the tub -- literally touching the porcelain -- and Derek was standing in the doorway while we discussed our weekend plans. I turned my head to say something to Derek and the next thing I know, Lydia is screaming. I looked over so see her bleeding out of the corner of her mouth! I scooped her up and did my best to stay calm, wiping her mouth with a cold cloth and then I saw the real issue -- her broken front tooth!
I started to cry too.
Derek and I just looked at each other and neither of us had any idea what to do.
Naturally we called a mom because moms (unless they are me, apparently) always know what to do . In this case Derek called his mom.
She suggested calling our dentist who also lives in our neighborhood. It was a little after 7:30 p.m. but Dr. Hilton said he was just on his way home and would stop by our house.
A house call?! Who does that? He is one of my new favorite people.
He came by to assess the damage and said it looked like a pretty good break (if there is such a thing) and no nerves were showing. We just have to watch to see if the tooth starts to change color (a gray tooth! How terrible!) or if there is any infection in the gums. If that happens she could be going in for a baby root canal type procedure.
I was beside myself at the thought of that. I've never even had a root canal so I can't imagine inflicting one on my 14 month old.
Oh, ya, this all happened on her 14 month birthday.
Sad.
Lydia seemed relatively unaffected by it all though. She went to bed like usual and slept all night. This morning she seemed to be her normal self and had no trouble eating and drinking.
But here is what the aftermath looks like:


You can see that about 1/4 of her front right tooth (left side in the photo) is missing! Here's the really crazy part: I have almost the exact same break in the exact same tooth! Mine was inflicted on my permanent tooth, however, when I was a senior in high school. When that happened my immediate fear was that I would look like a hillbilly. The same thought crossed my mind when Lydia's tooth broke. She's lucky it's only on her baby tooth and I'm lucky they were able to fix mine.
Still, I imagine I'll be rather sensitive about poor Lydia's mouth now so here is fair warning not to make any sort of "snaggle tooth" or "hillbilly" jokes about her. I will not find them amusing.

3 comments:

Emma

Poor thing! I am sure no one besides you guys will notice. I know a lot of little kids who have chipped front teeth or even missing teeth at a young age and I think they are all the cuter for it.
And really, that is such a cute picture!

Nick Paige Josh & Lexy

Oh no - what a bad day!
but serious - she is a doll - and I really don't think others will notice - because they'll be caught up in her cuteness -

Karen

I like how you nicely kept my name out of how you broke your tooth. I still feel bad about that to this day!
And Lydia is still as cute as a button. I guess I pictured it looking worse. She's absolutely adorable!!!