Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Aida"

I love going to the theater. I'm sure I've mentioned this passion here before but I'll say it again. There's just something so riveting about attending a live production -- both musical and non -- in a nice theater complete with great acting, beautiful singing, wonderful sets and the amazing ambiance. Last Tuesday, we had the chance once again to experience all these aspects in Tuacahn's production of "Aida."
This play holds a special place in my heart as it is the only production I've ever seen on Broadway. The music is so powerful and the story equally moving. I know I would have enjoyed it no matter what, but attending this play with Derek and my brother, Kevin, and his wife, Leslie, made it that much more special. Actually, it was Leslie's newcomer reaction to Tuacahn that really made the evening great. I have seen so many productions at this amazing amphitheater that I fear I have started to take some of its unique aspects for granted. Things like live animals on stage, fireworks during the productions, the use of a flood system that pours across the entire stage and more. None of these are ever overlooked by me, but sitting by Leslie and listening to her gasp, then turn to Kevin with a look of glee at the sight of the horses and camel used in the show reminded me just how fortunate it is to have access to places like this right here in our town. Plus, I loved the chance to watch a fabulous love story unfold while sitting next to the love of my life on a now less frequent, but no less appreciated date.

Derek and Lisa before the show.


Lisa, Kevin and Leslie in the theater's courtyard.


Waiting for the music to start.

2 comments:

Mike and Katie

sounds like a blast.

The Grady's

It really was AMAZING! We had such a fun time and were so glad that we could go with you guys. I've always wanted to see a show at Tuacahn but the timing has always been off (with all of our vacations to Utah usually happening in the winter). The show was great in itself, but with all of the added Tuacahn-esque elements it was just that much better!