Our cabin trips used to include things like sleeping in late, reading in the hammock, leisurely walks to the creek, afternoon naps, more reading late into the evening, sleeping in again... you get the idea. A lot of down time.
This year when Derek asked about our annual trip we both reflected on the fact that this year's excursion would probably be a little different than in the past. Somehow the energy and schedule of a near-toddler is not as conducive to the mountain R&R we've grown accustomed to.
It turns out, we were right. This year's trip was quite a bit different and yet in all the important ways it was the same. It was still a few days away from phones, Internet, TV, crowds, jobs, deadlines, household projects and the heat -- just me and my two favorite people spending time.
I loved it! We all had a great time!
While we were there I was able to witness Lydia's first faltering steps! She actually took her first steps for Derek on July 22 when I was at work (yes I cried when he called to tell me. It's the first of her firsts that I haven't seen!) But while at the cabin she finally showed me her new trick. It was priceless -- and quick, I've yet to capture this moment on camera.
I showed Lydia the Dominoes -- a favorite cabin game. I don't think she's ready for their actual purpose but she loved dumping them out of the box and scattering them.
We still had our hammock time...
... and some swing time.
Lydia did well in the antique high chair at the cabin -- I had to tie her in with aprons so she wouldn't fall out. She didn't mind, as long as she could eat!
On July 24 we invited my Mom, Grandma and brother, Brian, up for a Pioneer Day lunch. My Dad was out of town so he missed out :) We enjoyed a delicious lunch and the beautiful mountain day. Too bad I forgot to take any pictures!
I am so glad my grandparents built this little mountain home away from home!
5 comments:
I can't believe how grown up Lydia seems! Those pictures of her smiling really big are soooo cute! Did she sign the cabin shower curtain? So fun!
How adorable! Lydia DOES look so much more like a toddler now. How fun to get away with your family. As for the crying over the first steps -- I would have done the same thing.
I miss the cabin! Sounds like a fun weekend!
this cabin you speak of sounds and looks just like a dream, I want to live there.
I'm so glad you guys can take advantage of 'cabin time'. It doesn't get used enough.
Post a Comment