Sunday, February 13, 2011

Flannel boards and finger paints

I am having so much fun with Lydia lately. I am so incredibly grateful to be home more during the week (part time work is working out well for us). In the last couple of weeks I've used our time together to introduce a couple of new activities.

Flannel board
Did any of you have flannel board stories when you were growing up? My mom had this whole kit of stories with pictures we could put up on the flannel board and recently I acquired this kit. Sadly, most of what my mom had saved was tattered and worn, but it inspired me to make my own flannel board and add some of my own songs and stories to the mix.
Let me just say, it's been a huge success. Lydia loves it!

Here she is with pictures I made of weather elements and we sing a song about whether there will be sun, rain, snow or clouds today. One of her favorites (not pictured) is a story about turkeys with colored feathers. She's too young to sit still for the story, so she just sticks the turkeys on the board and tries to say "gobble gobble." It's hilarious!




When we're done I just slide the board under the couch and now Lydia knows where it is kept and she lays on her stomach by the couch and tries to reach it, jabbering in her special language about whatever story or song she wants.

As a side note, I have recently discovered that the fabric covering on the church pews acts as a great flannel board as well. The last 2 weeks I've taken some of her favorite flannel pieces and she sticks them on the back of the bench. It's successfully entertained her during much of Sacrament Meeting... for now.

Finger paints
I took a page out of an activity my niece did years ago at daycare and adapted it so Lydia could make her own valentines to give away this year.
First I created the base of the valentine cards.



Then I took Cool Whip and died it different shades of red and pink.



Then I brought Lydia in and let her go to town. I expected a bigger mess but she was relatively dainty with her finger painting. It was adorable, of course. Hopefully her cousins and grandparents get a kick out of the Lydia-made valentines.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Emma

Look at you, Martha!
Such good ideas, I'm stealing the cool whip idea for a rainy day.

So, lame question but how does the flannel boards work? What is on the paper to make them stick to the flannel?

Derek and Lisa Larson

Excellent question, Emma :) You put a piece of flannel on the back of whatever the picture is, or you use something like pellon (no idea how it's spelled but it's used to line collars and such if you make clothes) to draw the pictures on.

Emily Petty

Flannel boards are so great - you've inspired me, I need to make one!