Sunday, April 5, 2009

I wanna be a rockstar

OK, I don't, but my husband kind of is -- for a night anyway when his band opened for Boys Like Girls, playing to a crowd of about 1,200 in the outdoor amphitheater at Tuacahn.
Since before Derek and I started dating he's been playing with a band. (I know. I totally used to mock girls who were into guys in that scene... and then I married one).
The band started as The Random and then underwent a sound change and became City of Ashburn. They play local shows mostly in St. George, Cedar City and occasionally beyond. It's pretty much a hobby for all the guys in the group and they're fairly level-headed about the fact that they all have jobs, families etc. so they don't really aspire to anything much more than hobby status. But last weekend they had a taste of rockstar fame and I think they all enjoyed it to the fullest.

It wasn't just the size of the crowd -- although 1,200 is more than they've played to at any show before. And it wasn't even that Boys Like Girls is a relatively big name for St. George area (you might know their radio hit "The Great Escape.") It was how the fans reacted during and especially after that had me alternating between laughing and beaming with pride.

During the show I whooped and hollared and cheered with the best of them. I love my little bass player :) They sounded better than ever. After the show was over people swarmed around their merchandise table and so many people wanted them to autograph on their CD, their T-shirts and one girl wanted her neck or something signed. People are so weird. I stood back, allowing Derek and his friends to revel in their moment of glory, but I snapped some pictures to document everything.
Derek and drummer Brandon during sound check.


Rich Robbins, Derek and Adam Green at sound check.

During the actual performance.

Boys Like Girls performing.

Enjoying the show together.

Spending time with the fans.

3 comments:

Emma

How cool is that?
And I still smile when I think of you marrying a rockstar.

And do you guys ever work? So far this blog is bragging about all the cool things you do and amazing places you go. Oh to be young again....

Emily Petty

Wow Lisa! What great times you guys are having - your trip to Mexico and Derek's rockstar status look like lots of fun! And congrats on your little girl - how fun to have two little Grady granddaughters!

Karen

We are SO proud of Derek... and we're totally going to ask him for his autograph this weekend! :)