Friday, April 10, 2009

Just another ordinary day

In response to a comment on my last post from my dear friend Emma, I feel compelled to post a blog from just another ordinary day. I certainly don't want to have my blog sound like Seriously So Blessed (which is an entertaining mockery of blogging braggarts). So here you go.

I was running a little
late this morning. Too much time watching "The Office" last night left me a little sleepy this morning. Plus I wanted to talk to Derek since our schedules haven't crossed much this week as we've balanced a variety of night classes, church meetings, band practice, work and more. I've missed him, even though we live in the same house.
I arrived to my office and it's quiet today. There are plenty of times when life in the newspaper world is quite exciting -- like when the
police scanner starts squawking about a structure fire, bank robbery, an FBI raid; or the reporting staff is panicking about the follow up to a major flood or fire.
Today is not one of those days.
In my department-- the features section -- there can be rather exciting days as well, like when you get to experience something you've never done before like
hot air balloon riding, sky diving or even throwing pottery on a wheel; or when you finally get a call back from the famous (or not so
famous) source you've been tracking down forever.
But today is not one of those days either.
I'm working on a low-key preview piece about a reading rewards program known as the Kite Festival taking place next weekend. Its a standard preview story. Nothing to get too excited about. I'll have it done in plenty of time, so there's no deadline stress either.
When I've finished my hours for the week I'll pack it up and head home, probably to start working on my research paper for my master's class and tidying up our house for possible visitors this weekend. I imagine it'll be a
quiet night. Derek has an out of town show that I've opted out of in favor
of getting ahead in school. Hopefully my brain continues to function after a long week and I really can use the time well. I was also given some of that
Amish Friendship Bread and its due to be mixed and baked tonight. Better fit that in as well.
By the time Derek comes home it will be late. I may or may not still be up. I will wake up, of course, as he comes in and want to hear all about the show. Then I'll drift off to sleep, putting a bookend on another ordinary day.

1 comments:

Emma

Ahh how funny. You two work more then anyone i know. Play now because once that baby girl comes you won't have as much time!
And Amish Frienship bread is so good, I want some.