The time I hoped would never come is nearly here. As of tomorrow, my maternity leave is at an end.
I don't think I've ever had a more wonderful three month span in my life than these past few months have been. It’s strange -- I always thought I would be someone who needed the outside accolades a great job provides, or the guarantee of daily adult interaction to stimulate my brain in order to feel fulfilled and happy.
I was wrong.
The little life I've created during the day for Lydia and I has been absolutely fabulous. I get out and see friends enough to feel social. I exercise regularly enough to feel good about me. I read enough to feel like my brain isn't turning into oatmeal. I am careful to devote my full attention to playing with Lydia during her awake time, then take advantage of her naps to either work on projects I've been longing to do or catch a nap of my own.
It's amazing. Even Derek has commented on how much more relaxed I seem.
But life goes on. Perhaps one day I'll return to the simplicity of this life, but not right now. Duty (to our finances) calls for a return to work. I'm grateful that I really do enjoy the job I'm returning to. That and the fact that from everything my co-workers are telling me, I really have been missed. That's nice to hear.
But not as nice as watching Lydia's face when I come into her room after her nap. Her squeals and smiles are a sure sign that it is time to play and we are both happy to indulge in some quality time.
Lest I make myself more sad just by writing this, I have to remind myself that it is up to me to maintain a positive attitude about everything now. Lydia doesn’t need me to be sad about the situation (and neither does Derek). I can be strong. Right? I have shed my share of tears over having to leave her behind when I make my trek back through the doors of The Spectrum tomorrow (with plenty more tears to come I'm sure) but I take comfort in knowing Lydia will be having some quality time with Grandma and Grandpa Larson and I am extremely grateful for their willingness to watch her. Hopefully they understand my reticence has nothing to do with them and everything to do with me. But that’s another thought all on its own. Instead, here is a list of some of the ways I’ve been spending my time during this final week:
* Making wassail and chicken soup for Derek when he wasn’t feeling well. Bringing him hot cocoa at school.
* Lunch with two friends from our prenatal class. We decided it was time for a “reunion” lunch now that we have traded in our pregnant stomachs for adorable children. It was fun to gab about the joys and challenges of our new lives and show off our kids.
* Waiting in line for the swine flu shot (see “angel child” post).
* A fun Halloween party with the Cottams (pictures in "so cute" post below).
* Cleaning, laundry, banking, errands, etc. to be ready to go back to work full time.
* LOTS of time cuddling with Lydia and playing on the floor with her.
* Finishing projects, such as putting the final touches on Lydia’s nursery (it’s about time, I know. Pictures below).
* A long walk with Derek and Lydia – 5 ½ miles on a gorgeous St. George day, and several other fun outdoor excursions.
* Stock piling some naps (I wish that were really possible) and worrying about how lack of sleep will play into the already emotional aspects of the work day.
* Attempting to have Lydia’s three month pictures taken. (We're trying again in a week or so. Long story.)
* Witnessing one of Lydia's important firsts (See "big news" post below.)
* Reminding Lydia again and again how much I love her and encouraging her not to forget about me.
* Reminding myself that it’s only 8 hours a day, andshe does sleep about half of that time, so I’m not missing THAT much. (lies…)
The one thing I am MOST grateful for as I look at this list is that it is certainly not conclusive on my time as Lydia’s mother. Going back to work does not mean I give up my position with her; I don’t have to return her when Nov. 2 comes. (Rationally everyone knows this but emotionally that’s how it feels sometimes). I get to be her mom forever and if I try really hard, maybe she won’t ever feel like she’s missing out by having me gone during the day. I will just have to be Super Mom when I’m done at work for the day.
Heaven help me.
Please.
The curtains I made for Lydia's room. Note the cute butterfly curtain rods.
Getting ready for church last week she was so tired and we were waiting to put her in her carseat. Finally, she just gave up and sacked out on our bed.
Taking a break along the Whiptail Trail in Snow Canyon.
8 comments:
I had to go back after 6 weeks and it is so hard! I just want to be home so bad-before I had children my desire to be a stay at home mom was just based on principle, but now that she's here it's really hard! It has gotten easier, and I always get to see her at night, so just try and hang on to the times you do get to be with her-that helps. It's almost neat because I am so much more willing to put up with everything when I am with her because I don't have her all the time, so in that way it's a blessing...good luck...
First, I must say, she's adorable in her costume.
Second, I hope your day back to work goes well. I'm sure it will. You will be in my thoughts, but if anyone can do it and be a Super Mom at it, I think it will be you.
Sorry you have to have this challenge. I'm still in the deciding phase. Its hard to imagine how I will feel after the baby is here, but by then it will be too late to make a decision about going back to work or not.
I've been thinking about you the last few days. I hope you're doing ok! Hang in there! I think I'm going to be going back to work soon too! AAHHH!! Scary...
Oh Lisa, my heart aches for you becuase I've been there and I'm doing it.
I had all the same thoughts, fearing I would miss all her firsts, but ya know I never did.
And now with Adella I haven't missed a thing either. It will be hard, every single day but keep focused on the future and it'll be here before you know. I hope things can work out just like you need them to, becuase if anyone deserves it you do!
true, i don't have any children, but i know with my mom who was gone working, looking back I don't ever think my mom wasn't there for this or that...i think about all the times she was there and all things she did for me...her being strong for me by going to work, helping support the family, she was teaching me through example. and i know whether you end up working full time, part time, or not at all and become a stay at home mom (which is work) whatever you do lisa, you will be awesome at it- you have that way about you...:-)
Good luck going back Lisa! It's so hard for women, either way. Much as I love my son and being with him and feel good about the decision I made for our family - I still miss my job pretty much everyday, and it's been 2 yrs. and I still do other things like teach privately, but it's not the same. And wow - what a swine flu experience! Poor you and what a great baby!
Oh Lis, I'm so sorry! I'm sure everything will be great. And I know you and your positive attitude, you're unshakeable. Lydia is just adorable. Love you, jes
Post a Comment