Sunday, July 24, 2011

Siren song and the land of the free



I love the Fourth of July! It's one of my favorite holidays. Something about the combination of celebrating our great country and spending time with loved ones just always makes me happy.
Our Fourth of July celebrating came on the tail end of the trip we made to Brigham City for my Grandma's 80th birthday (see below). We stayed in Cedar City with my parents for the rest of the weekend, partly to celebrate the Fourth with them, partly so we could see several Shakespeare Festival plays for my job.
On Monday morning we went to the parade. It was similar to what I recall as a child it was so fun to see Lydia enjoying it.
With one exception.
I'd like to go on record that the people who think it is a good idea to have every fire truck in town wailing its sirens for the duration of the parade route should be locked in a room with these same sirens until they beg for mercy.
Who came up with this anyway? Surely a quick honk or two would suffice. And this is not a Cedar City thing. I've witnessed this atrocity in parades in multiple locations. I'm thrilled there are emergency workers (such as firemen) willing to risk their lives to save homes and land, but I would honor them much more effectively during a parade if I didn't have my hands pressed over my child's ears (wishing they were pressed over my own) until Derek finally just walked Lydia a block from the route to preserve her hearing.
This is not a worried mom thing. I've always hated the sirens in a parade.
But I digress.
After the entire Iron County fleet of fire engines passed by, the rest of the parade was good hometown fun. We didn't go to the park for games afterward (we should have... maybe next year) instead opting to hang out at home until my mom and I went to see "The Music Man" at the Shakespeare Festival that afternoon and Derek and I saw "Midsummer Night's Dream" that evening.
Sandwiched in between the shows was a fun BBQ with my parents and my brother, Brian, and his wife, Leslie Ann.
Happy Fourth of July!

Although this picture is not a good one of my dad (he didn't know he was in the shot) I have to include it to prove he was there. He's not a parade fan (he agrees, if not inspires me, on the whole siren thing) and probably hasn't gone to a parade willingly since we -- his children -- were marching in the parades ourselves with marching band, dance teams and what have you.
Ah, but when there are grandchildren involved this old softie is more than willing to sacrifice his hearing to the fire engine gods and enjoy a good parade with Lydia. Thanks Dad!




Grandma and Lydia. Take note of Lydia's outfit. I, the unprepared mother had somehow overlooked purchasing a Fourth of July shirt or anything for my daughter to wear. Bright and early Monday morning my mother was at the store picking something out for her in time to wear it to the parade. What a good Grandma!

0 comments: