Saturday, July 9, 2011

Springdale tourists for a day

{June 24, 2011}

Even though we live just 45 minutes from Springdale (the tourist town leading into Zion National Park) I always feel like I'm on vacation when we're there.

Derek won tickets on the radio to go see Parachute in concert at the OC Tanner Amphitheater just outside of Zion. I had also received some tickets from work so we invited our good friends the Cottams to join us.

The day of the show Derek found out he was also the winner of backstage passes, a restaurant gift car, Parachute CD and poster. Way to go honey! So we had a whole afternoon/evening date ready to go.

We only made it to the last few minutes of the band meet and greet but I didn't care. I'm not really one who needs to meet the musicians, particularly when they're only mildly "famous," if at all. Still, we posed for a picture with the band and then went to kill some time in Springdale's quaint downtown.


Our favorite stop was the Springdale Candy Company which was recently purchased by a relative of mine. Thanks to the family connection (I guess) Dwight -- the owner -- invited us to come back and help pull the peanut brittle when it was done.
I've never pulled peanut brittle -- nor did I know it needed to be pulled -- so Derek and I excitedly reported back at the appointed time, donned the special gloves and went to town. It was so fun! Plus we got a helping of fresh peanut brittle as a thank you. It was delicious!

Dwight and one of the employees pouring the peanut brittle



This is us posing for a picture after the work was done. There was no time to take a photo when the actual pulling was taking place. It was kind of intense! Candy making is serious business.



We met up with the Cottams for dinner and then headed to the concert. I didn't know much about Parachute before the show, but the concert was a blast. The music was great and the people watching, even better. (Isn't it always?)

What a view!

Such a fun way to escape for an evening while staying close to home.

0 comments: